Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Three Good Things 1.14.15



The winter blues have got me by the throat again and it’s been particularly bad for the last few weeks.  I’m going to try to go back to an old anti-depression technique and start looking for three good things each day.  I’m also going to try to post them here, since this is such a handy spot to write stuff down.  Yesterday was particularly horrible:  feeling incredibly isolated, getting bad news, going to a meeting for work instead of meeting my friends for a run.  Finding three good things in yesterday has taken some effort.

  1. Went to the library and got some interesting-looking books plus a new TV series to watch during the couch-sitting that goes on so regularly these days.
  2. Ran into an ex-coworker/friend at the evening meeting and had a chance to catch up with her.
  3. Ate leftover Jambalayish for dinner, which is just as tasty on Day 3 as on Day 1 (recipe below).  It was tasty enough to overcome my sads and get me to eat a reasonable dinner.

The only thing missing from the dinner was cornbread.  I know this because someone in the household WAS eating cornbread and it smelled yummy enough to make my mouth water a little.  Normally, I try very hard to stay away from the Primal/Paleo baked goods substitutes, but a lightly sweet, slightly crumbly bread product would be such a great compliment to the dish.  This is another “throw stuff in the slow cooker” recipe because minimal effort works well for me right now.

Jambalayish

Ingredients:
Chicken (approx 1 lb) in bite-size pieces (I used leftover chicken breast)
Andouille sausage (approx 1 lb), cut in 1/4” slices (cook it first—it slices better that way)
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
2 c. okra (optional) (I used a 12 oz bag of frozen, sliced okra—minimal effort again)
1-2 c. chicken broth or stock (if you’re spooning over rice or like it more soupish, use 2 c. broth)
14.5 oz can fire-roasted tomatoes
6 oz. can tomato paste
2 bay leaves
1 rounded Tbsp Tony Chachere’s original seasoning blend
½ tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried parsley
1 lb raw, deveined, peeled shrimp
 
Instructions:
Toss everything except the shrimp in the slow-cooker.  Mix well.  Cook on Low for 6 hours.  Add shrimp and cook for an additional 20-30 minutes (until shrimp are just cooked).

Serve with Frank’s Hot Sauce or some sriracha (if you like it spicy) and spoon over rice, cauliflower rice, celery root “grits,” or salad greens.  Or skip the fancy stuff and serve it like the stew it is.  Enjoy!


I have no idea if this would freeze well because we’re eating it all up too quickly to try that.  I suspect the thing to do would be to freeze it without the shrimp in it and add them whenever you thaw it.  If you try the recipe, leave a comment and let me know what you thought!  And if you know of a good Primal/Paleo cornbread substitute, please tell me where to find the recipe.

And if you have time, read this because depression doesn't always look like you might think it does.


No comments:

Post a Comment