Thursday, July 21, 2011

Faceplant

I had so much fun on the Fourth of July weekend, I fell over and broke my hand :o)  In honor of my brother's birthday, I broke my left hand this time! (Yep, he's a southpaw.  I broke my right hand in an exciting car accident a couple of years ago.)

I was jogging in the woods, hit a patch of loose sandy dirt, and lost my footing.  I tried to recover, but just slipped more and did a spectacular faceplant--dirt, scrapes, bruises and apparently bent my pinkie back until the bone snapped--a clean break, all the way across the bone, directly above the knuckle.  Luckily, I had a water bottle with a handle that worked well as a brace, so I hiked back to the car (2 miles) and was able to wrap it (hooray
Zombie Squad first aid kit) and ice it (glad I had my little cooler).  Lucky for me the bones were lined up fine, so the ER nurse slapped a giant splint on me (from elbow past my fingertips), and sent me on my merry way.

The orthopedic doc gave me a tiny splint and wrapped everything up in various elastic bandages (the pinkie finger is connected to the ring finger, both fingers are connected to the splint, the fingers and splint are connected to the whole hand), said I could take the whole mess off whenever I showered, and ran off to the next patient.  The whole thing feels kind of unprotected and wobbly, and it makes me really nervous to take it off.  Fortunately, I prefer baths, so I don’t have to expose my poor broken hand daily.

Of course, one of the side effects of a broken hand is being reduced to one-handed, hunt-and-peck typing, which is why I’ve suddenly decided to start blogging.  Because I’m a special kind of crazy...

No comments:

Post a Comment