Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Once Upon a Time


Once upon a time, nearly half my lifetime ago, I made a huge change.  And it all started with a phone call.  I lived in Florida and ordered inventory for a store.  Once in a while, I would have to make a call to a certain company to place a special order and I nearly always talked to the same sales guy.  The more we talked, the more we wanted to talk.  I took a trip to a town near him and we made arrangements to have dinner.  It was a fun evening and when I got home, we started talking even more.  As in $500 long distance phone bills more (cell phones were pretty rare back then).  I visited again.  We had fun again.  We decided to make it more permanent.  He rented a truck, drove down to Florida, and brought me home to Virginia.  We made a home together for about a year and a half.  Although it didn’t work out, we managed to stay, well, not friends exactly, but warm acquaintances at least.  I’ve lived in Virginia almost as long as I lived in Illinois at this point.  I met a great guy and married him and that didn’t work out either, but I have high hopes of staying friends with him.

And now, something is happening that makes me wonder if lightning could strike twice in my life.  How amazing that would be!

1 comment: