Monday, July 25, 2011

Putting my OCD tendencies to work FOR me. Well, sort of.

In the spring of 2010, I decided it was time to get in shape for real.  I had been walking regularly for a few years, but it just wasn’t enough.  I chose to try running for several reasons:  low start-up cost, no classes or clubs to join, could be done outdoors, and people get obsessed with running.  I’ve tried a variety of ways to get fit over the years and got bored with all of them eventually.  I thought the combination of being outside and possibly getting obsessed just might do the trick.

It worked.

I am a little astounded at how well it has worked.  I get antsy whenever I can’t get out for my run now.  People who have known Sedentary Sarah The Bookwyrm (I’m looking at you, disbelieving family members) are still finding it hard to believe.  Not that I blame them—I find it hard to believe, too.  And yet, there I was on Sunday morning, running in the woods with one hand broken and my friend’s dog leashed to the other hand.  I ran carefully and walked over any chancy terrain, but I ran.  And it was GREAT.

No comments:

Post a Comment